Saturday, February 19, 2011

moved into the Villa!

We finally moved out of the hotel and into the Villa that we will live in for the next several years.  However long that is!  We will miss the Hotel food which was amazing and all the employees that wait on you hand and foot and are at your every beck and call.  We have a Mitsubishi Lancer rental car and it is very small. We were able to get four large suit cases and two small suitcases and two backpacks and one other small case in that car.  It was like a puzzle putting it in.

We slept in our bed for the first time last night and we were sad because we left the beds at the W of which we tried to buy but it was going to take to long to get it.  Our bed is beautiful and the base and mattress came with it. By the way we had a Tempurpedic mattress at home that we had to leave behind.   Ok the mattress feels like I am sleeping on the floor, Alan loves it and I hate it.  We will give it a little time and then I will press for a new mattress.  In the mean time we will try and buy a memory foam pad for the bed. I found memory foam pad today and I have to order them!! So sad!

About a week ago I was at our villa cleaning and a friend and I decide to throw away the drip pans for the electric stoves burners. The maintenance man said he will be bringing me new ones and I see him everyday and he just keeps saying the same thing that he will bring me some...  Well in the mean time we have been searching for them ourselves and can't find them anywhere.   I have bought some foil pans and might have to make our on make shift ones!!!

This morning I went to take a shower in our bathroom and could not get the water hot.  We tried everything.  Alan tried other rooms and they all had hot water.  Nassar the  maintenance guy came by and said we have to have a switch on to get hot water and that one had been turned off.  It looks like a light switch on the wall outside the bathroom, Crazy!!!

We went to church for the first time Friday.  Ok I know that sounds weird but Friday is the Holy Day over here.  We went to Grace Fellowship.  I loved it and it made me feel like normal, well almost.  When they started singing songs I knew.  I got all emotional.  For those that know me I never cry, it takes a lot to make me cry... Anyway I Cried. We met a lot of great people and went with several to Chili’s afterwards to have lunch.  It was fun.

On Sunday we will meet with a small group f Church of Christ people (mostly from Texas) and have a bible study and take communion.  I will go to a Ladies bible study during the week.

There is a mosque right out side our Villa’s compound, really two are very close but one is right here!  The call to prayer happens 5 times a day starting at something like it's crazy.  I love to pray but this is very annoying.  I have face timed Andrew my son and he has heard how loud it is.

We have no storage so we have been on the search for any kind of shelving we can find.  We have brought several from the states and bought several more here. This one shelving unit we bought here right off the floor because they didn't have anymore in a box.  They took it apart and set it at the front counter for us to buy when we finished.  We bought it and discovered several days later that they guys that loaded our car didn't put 3 of the shelves in.  Four days later we were able to go back and to our surprise they had them there waiting on us.  We were so happy.  It's the small things these days that just makes us smile.

I keep telling Alan I feel like we are camping and you know everything tastes so good when you are camping and every task is fun.  Sandwiches for three meals in a row since we couldn’t use the stovetop, but they sure tasted good!

We have four bedrooms in this Villa and they have four closets but when I say closets they are about 40in wide and not very deep. I am guessing.  They really are just built in wardrobe cabinets, not a closet by US standards.  Alan took the one in the office and half of one and I took the double one in our room and one guest room and half of the other in the other guest room.  The clothes are crammed in there like sardines. We will look at buying another closet in the future.

There is a problem with money right now.  We can't get a bank account here so we are living on cash.  Alan has chosen to be paid in dollars for now and it is wired and goes to our bank in the U.S.  We can't get a bank account until we get our Residents Permit, I will call it an RP from now on.  This is a very important thing and we are really missing it now.  Alan has to get his before I can get mine.  I will have been here two months before I get mine.  So I will have to leave the country and get my passport stamped and then come back.  We also can't buy a car, so that is why we have a rental car and why we will be getting a second rental car soon.  I have a busy week ahead and have some more things being delivered to the house.  I will sign off for now and add more in the next couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. If it makes you feel any better Teresa, when we moved into our current house I took cold baths only to find out that the "switch" to our hot water tank wasn't turned on! haha During our final walk through they never flipped the switch! Love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete