Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Living in the Desert!

I haven't typed on my blog in a while.  I have been busy meeting lots of new friends. Still trying to get my place set up and make it feel warm and as much like home as I can.  My boys will be coming March 12th,  I am really looking forward to that happening.  I am having cable installed tomorrow morning at 10 a.m..  We will see what that means when it comes to t.v..  Maybe at least I can have some noise.  It is very quiet around with no music or t.v..  We brought Alan's clock radio that has an Ipod dock so I was so excited to listen to my Ipod and I plugged it in and it popped and smoked instantly.  Very frustrating.

On Monday of this week the Qatari women's association invited the American women's association to a Qatari mock wedding.  This is only women and no men are aloud.  They celebrate independently apart from each other.  This is when they are unveiled and just wear their traditional clothing.   We were not allowed to bring in cell phones or camera's because they can't have pictures made of them unveiled.  There was a Qatari woman that told us  about their traditions of a  Muslim women.  She went through what happens from when they are  very young girls until they are married. 

They served us all different kinds of food and tea and camels milk while the mock wedding was taking place.  I think she said they have a two day celebration and after the wedding the bride and groom don't see each other for another week .  They have the celebration at the grooms parents house.   Before getting married the bride has her own money. The groom has to pay her family a dowry, and he has to be able to support her.  Very much the same in the U. S. what's mine is mine and what's his is mine!! Ha! Ha!  After the celebration they had a huge buffet of food that we got to try.  Very interesting and different.

The Qatari women danced on stage and asked the American women and International women to join them.  I did not do this, but had fun watching.  They were also having Henna  applied on anyone that wanted it, so I did that on my arm.   There is picture of that on Facebook.  They also let you have a picture made in one of their long dresses on the stage.  I did do this but am not sure when or if I will get the photo because you have to go to the U.S. embassy to get the photo.  The women I was setting with said it is a huge pain to go to the U.S. embassy, lots of security.  So who knows if I will see this photo.

I have been to two bible studies this week.  They were both very good and I will continue to go to them not only for the great study of the word but the great fellowship.  Yesterday we had lunch at Johnny Rockets afterwards and today we had breakfast before and lunch afterwards at Bennigans.  That is where I got my Iced Tea and free refills with nachos. Yay!!  I met some women that play golf and they invited me next Wednesday to play 9 holes after ladies class.  I am doing my best to get plugged in and keep busy while I am here.  That is what you have to do to survive living in the desert.  This is all for today as I experience new things I will let you know.

Remember I am not a writer and so just read this and enjoy and don't critique it to much.

2 comments:

  1. It's great to hear from you, Teresa - proud of you! You are blooming where you've been planted!! Can't wait for the next installment - blessings to you both - Sherry & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of Johhny Rockets...Ryan and I were surprised to find out that the Johnny Rockets at Market Street closed. You no have a burger place in Doha that we don't. :)

    P.S. Misty and PePaw are inseperable in their little chair at Life Group.

    ReplyDelete